Mauritania has been under junta rule since July of 2007. Under a recently-negotiated agreement, there will be elections in mid-July of this year to return the country to civilian rule, even though two of the three major candidates are ex-generals who both took power in either the most recent coup or the one before it. Anyway, the hope is that the delay in having our visas issued is most likely a result of the political instability in the country, and that once the elections happen, our visas will be processed in a timely manner. These are some talking points that the P.C. sent to us:
· Your staging has been postponed while we wait for your visas to be processed. Please note: Your visas were not denied; we are waiting for the Mauritanian government to process and issue your visas. We read some misinformation circulating on the blogs – so we ask that you please be careful what you post on the internet.
· Your departure date depends on several factors, including when we receive the visas, flights, and other logistical & support considerations.
· As of today our best guess is that you will depart for staging in mid August.
· We estimate that you will have at least four weeks notice before your departure.
· There are no other country openings at this time.
· Your staging may be held in a different city depending on what city your flight leaves from.
· We will be in touch with you, mostly by e-mail, as new information becomes available.